Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Strip and Stain

Gotta love a good Craig's List find my latest was a dresser set. They came in a kind of a honey, reddish color stain close to this color (why did I not remember to take a true before shot)...
The color wasn't terrible, but it wasn't my favorite either. Thanks to quite a few rough spots, including a soda spill down the front of one dresser, I decided it would be best to strip them down with good'ol citristrip...

Then I did a color test with the left over stain cans we had from the hardwood floors. The winner was Minwax Jacobean on the right...

One coat of Jacobean stain (applied with an old tshirt) and two coats of polyurethane later, the dressers were finally finished...

Sorry, I really need to break out my camera instead of the cell.
This picture shows the color a bit better. It's a nice, rich brown, yet still allows the wood grain to show through...

I really love the clean lines, height off the ground (gotta sweep out dog hair from under things around this house), and lovely wood drawer pulls...
To top it off, I even added a little drawer liner in those bad boys! Now if I could just get around to moving all our clothes in.

No comments: